Health and fitness can be an exciting journey, if you do proper goal setting that is. You don't have to look too hard around the gym to see some folks with no plan in place. Bouncing around the equipment like you're a pinball can be fun sometimes, but when you want specific results you need to do some specific things.
If you want something you never had, you'll need to do some things you've never done before. So...
1. Decide what you want, make sure it's reasonable, and make sure you truly believe you deserve it.
2. Map out a plan. "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail." Can't remember who said that, but it's awesome and true.
3. Drop "all or nothing" thinking. Grow up. Be responsible, and be consistent.
4. Measure and weigh yourself weekly (at least.) Tracking your progress, or lack thereof, will keep you on your plan.
5. Be grateful for every thing and every second of the wonder that is your life. Gratitude is one of the strongest forces in the universe. Bitchy and whiny doesn't produce anything worthwhile.
The only thing really seperating any of us from our goals is time. So be patient.