Saturday, May 22, 2010

Experience Your Good Now the new book by Louise L. Hay

This is an incredible book. The CD companion is great too. I discovered Louise's ideas a few years ago. I was skeptical at first. Everything she said sounded too simple to really have a lasting, life-changing effect. But as she's pointed out a few times, the simple things in life are usually the most profound. Learning to work with affirmations is something that should be taught in schools. I think that'd be a quantum leap in the right direction. Too many kids suffer from low self-esteem, then grow up to be adults masking their pain in many different ways, most of them unhealthy. If you have esteem issues, even a little bit, this book can expose you to some truly wonderful techniques.

I used to be very suspicious of "positive thinkers." I thought anyone who described themselves as an optimist was either incapable of dealing with reality, or they were just fooling themselves. In Experience Your Good Now using affirmations to improve your life is presented in a way that makes a great deal of sense. It isn't airy-fairy, pie in the sky stuff. It's a practical approach to dealing with where you are now and getting to where you want to be in all aspects of your life. Working with affirmations is to really take the bull by the horns and accept responsiblity for your life and the direction you're taking it in.

One thing in particular jumped out at me; the part where she talks about how every complaint you make is just an affirmation for more of what you don't want. That hit me like a ton of bricks. She then goes on to talk about how cursing is another negative affirmation that magnetically attracts more of what you don't want. That one hit me like two tons of bricks. Needless to say, I've got some things to work on, and I've learned some new tools to use.

1 comment: