Thursday, December 6, 2012

Concsiousness

There's an old joke about a U2 concert. The lights go dim, and Bono starts to clap his hands, once a second. After the audience is sufficiently confused, he steps up to the mic, still clapping, slowly, and seriously, he states, "Every time I clap my hands another starving African child dies." An angry man in the front row jumps up and shouts, "Somebody grab that sick, heartless son of a bitch, and make him stop clapping his hands!" He he. I love that joke. I bring it up to illustrate a point about perception, and how we don't heal any problem whatsoever by continuing to focus on it.
Talking about an issue, preaching, marching, drumming up support for a cure, does it ultimately hasten the arrival of a solution or a healing? Or does it just add to the energy of the problem, make it bigger, and more real, while the solution is pushed further away? It's just a thought. I'm not finger pointing. Several years ago I struggled with giving up smoking and drinking. I went to a few AA meetings, but as helpful as talking about the problem was, after awhile it just seemed to be keeping it alive. Energy is never destroyed, but it can take on a new form. I guess what I'm trying to say is, please, stop buying U2 cd's and concert tickets. (Kidding, of course.) Go kick some ass today.

No comments:

Post a Comment