Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Make "Someday" Today

Quit putting it off, for crying out loud. You know it's the right thing to do. Just do it. Well, I'll diet next week. I'll start working out as soon as the weather is nice. Why is it so easy to procrastinate when it comes to health and fitness? It's obvious that statistics don't motivate people. Study after study shows that by taking responsibility for your diet, and your conditioning (exercise), you can improve the quality and length of your life. Diseases that will knock you down, and interrupt not just your life, but your loved ones' can be avoided with just a little bit of effort. We've all heard the reasons why we should eat right and get healthy. All of us would choose life over death if given the choice. The good (or bad) news is, we make that choice daily with our actions.

I think the reason procrastination comes so naturally has more to do with "how" than "why." You can blame the fitness industry, celebrities showing off their perfect bodies in the media, fashion mags, athletes, fitness gurus, or success coaches. "How" is where the confusion lies. I prefer simple solutions, so let's toss out confusion and develop a crystal clear vision.

Step One: Set a goal

Many people on the path of life have no clue where they're going. If you're driving around with no destination you could end up anywhere, maybe somewhere you really do not want to be. Figure out how healthy you want to be. How strong. How flexible. How lean. How muscular. How much energy do you want? Imagine it, and find some pictures of the type of body you want to live in. Focused intention works miracles. For me the first step was believing I could change, then through trial and error I figured out how.

Step Two: Continually Improve Your Diet

Start planning your meals in advance. Create a no-fail environment by keeping junkfood at the very least out of sight, preferably out of the house. Every time you eat something, ask yourself ahead of time, "Is this getting me closer to my goal, or farther away?" The reason diets don't work, is they're overcomplicated, and they're hard to stick to. Figure out easy recipes, and simple meal plans to get you to your goal. By making gradual improvements you will change yourself even on a cellular level, and your nutritional knowledge will expand as well.

Step Three: Exercise

Strive for balance. When I was fat, I used to get fed up (no pun intended) and start doing sit-ups every day until I threw my back out. Or I'd go out and run until my knees and ankles would swell up and I didn't even feel like walking. I recommend hiring a personal trainer. The best one I know is me, Andy Nieradko 860-944-1997; but I only service the Hartford, CT area. Find a trainer whos not going to overcharge you, and overtrain you. I get annoyed at some of these "experts" I see abusing someone who is paying them their hard earned money. There is a lot more to getting healthy than "no pain, no gain." Look for someone who wants you to succeed even more than you do. Training can be a fun, exciting experience believe it or not. Finding the right trainer can be tough, but it's worth it. Don't be one of those schmucks that goes to the gym 7 days a week and never makes any progress. Find a pro to help motivate, educate, and keep you safe and on target with your goals.


Thats just my opinion, on how to quit putting off the healthy life that you absolutely deserve. "Some day" is never going to arrive. You have to seize it, why not make it today? Once you take the first step, you very well might find out that the journey is mostly downhill; and the rewards far outweigh the costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment